MAWW – Summer Grant Application 2017
SCOPE AND RESEARCH PRODUCTS: We invite proposals for research exploring connections or comparisons between Europe, Eurasia, Africa, or the Americas from 500 to 1500 CE. Proposals that are interdisciplinary, especially collaborative projects with participants from different disciplines, are encouraged. A flexible range of research activities will be supported to engage the creativity and expertise of both students and faculty. They include:
– individual or group projects on connections and/or shared experiences from 500 to 1500 CE linking any two of the following regions: Asia, Africa, the Americas, Europe.
– collaborative brief source translations illuminating connections and/or shared experiences from 500 to 1500 CE linking Europe, Asia, Africa, or the Americas and accompanied by introductions, annotations, and curricular apparatus (discussion questions, learning activities).
– training in scientific tools (such as DNA analysis, digital humanities) and critical analysis of their application to issues in global medieval studies.
– development of syllabi and learning outcomes on the undergraduate level and bibliographies for graduate qualifying exams.
APPLICATION DEADLINE: March 31, 2017
ELIGIBILITY: You must be either a graduate student or a faculty member at a University of California campus in order to apply for a grant.
FUNDING LEVELS AND TIME PERIOD: We expect typical awards to be in the 5K-10K-range. The maximum amount that may be requested for an individual award is 10K and for a collaborative award 15K. Budgets will be evaluated in detail to ensure that expenditures are directly relevant to the project. Partial funding awards may be made in some instances as the result of budget review. The proposed research must be accomplished between June 1 and August 31, 2017, although polishing of results for presentation at either the Fall 2017 or Spring 2018 Project workshops may take place afterwards.
PRESENTATION REQUIREMENT: Funded researchers will be required to present draft results at either the fall 2017 workshop at UC Santa Barbara (date tba) or the spring 2018 workshop at UC Davis (date tba). Results may take the form of a draft article for publication or curricular/pedagogical materials.
APPLICATION: Fill in the fields below, attach your proposal in PDF form, and submit.
The proposal must include,
– a concise statement (no longer than 1,500 words) of the research proposed, the contribution it will make, the form of the final product (article, curricular materials), a work plan for the grant period (including any research travel), and a budget;
– a separate one-page bibliography related to the proposal;
– a short (no more than two-page) CV that includes publications.
The statement, bibliography, and CV must be combined into ONE PDF for uploading. Leave 1″ margins, use 12-point type, and make sure the first page includes your full name and the title of your proposed project. Please label your application PDF with your last name, hyphen, MAWWga17.